Monday, April 8, 2013

Msheireb Arts Centre

Monday blog post #23

Hello!

How you've been? I'm a bit tired and need some time off.


I was at the printmaking workshop last week organized by Msheireb Arts Centre with an UK based artist and printmaker Jacqueline Yuen Ling Chiu


I can only say it was an amazing experience and I learned a lot. I had some experience in printmaking but only with textile surfaces such as screen printing and transfer printing during my university time.

The biggest surprise for me was the building, as in Doha everything is either completely new and modern or totally destroyed and this place is something different.
It's a 1950s school building which was the first girls’ school in Qatar, named ‘Al Wassat’, and was built by the government for Amna Mahmood Al Jaidah who had formerly been teaching classes in her own home. The building has been renovated to its former state by Msheireb Properties, with some classrooms left intact in the state in which they were found. Additions include a gallery space, storage facilities for the found objects, workshop rooms, and artists’ studios.





At the workshop we learned different techniques for printmaking such as:
- drypoint plastic plate
- drypoint aluminium plate
- Japanese vinyl relief plate
- photopolymer plate
- collograph plate

with the best quality materials.

Here are some of my works:

Drypoint plastic plate



Japanese vinyl relief plate





 

Photopolymer plate







 Collograph plate





People at the workshop were all artists and it was really interesting to meet them, to see how they work, their ideas... We even ended up going out all together at the Four Seasons Hotel where they organize beach party every Thursday. Brilliant experience! I can't wait for them to organize another workshop!



Sending you my smile with love,
Dominika

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10